Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Yellow Squash Puree Macaroni and Cheese

This is not my recipe. (My notes are in italics). It is from Everyday Food Storage blog. She has some amazing recipes and tutorials on there. Check her blog out! This is the only mac and cheese I make now. We all love it at our house. Plus, I use whole wheat pasta too. Healthy dinner! I copied this right from her blog. Here is the original post on the mac and cheese recipe. She has a video tutorial on making the Magic Mix if you want to watch it. (Magic Mix is a mix you make and keep in the fridge for several months and use it for many different recipes).

2 C. Elbow Macaroni (or any type of pasta)
1/3 C. Magic Mix
1/2 C. Water
1 C. Yellow Squash Puree
1-1/2 C. Cheddar Cheese, grated
4 oz. Cream Cheese (I use non-fat)
1/2 t. Salt

1/8 t. Paprika
1/2 t. Pepper

Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the macaroni and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain in a colander.

2. While the macaroni is cooking, combine Magic Mix and water in a saucepan. Stir rapidly (I use a wire wisk) over medium heat until it starts to bubble and thicken.

3. Add the squash puree, Cheddar, cream cheese, and seasonings, and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.

4. Stir in the macaroni and serve warm. (Personally, I chop up a tomato and stir it in. I really like the taste of tomatoes and cheese but that is optional. I also garnish with a little paprika and grated cheese.Try it! Your kids will love it...which means you will too!

2 comments:

Indy said...

yeah I love this meal thxs for sharing ....

Marne said...

We love it too! And it gets another veggie in the kids (and Chad) with no fighting!