Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Quick and Easy Italian Vegetable Soup

This recipe is from my cookbook called Fix It and Forget It, feasting with your slow cooker. I love this soup...filling, delicious, and warm on a cold winter day.

1 lb. ground beef or turkey, browned and drained (I used 1/2 lb)
3 carrots, sliced (I grate mine)
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed (I leave the peel on mine)
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
15 oz can diced Italian tomatoes or 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
6- oz. can Italian flavored tomato paste
4- 1/2 c. water
1 qt. beef broth

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.

NOTE: This is a great recipe to use frozen tomatoes in. I freeze most tomatoes from my garden instead of canning them and they are great for soups.

1 comment:

Heide Mc.™ said...

There's nothing better than a good bowl of soup to warm you up. This soup sounds like it's a winner. Can't wait to try this.