Thursday, November 4, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

Awhile ago I found this great recipe blog, Two Peas and Their Pod. I tried this baked oatmeal recipe a few weeks ago and I loved it! The kids weren't crazy about it but liked it okay. I liked how everyone's breakfast was done in one dish. I added the extra cinnamon like she suggests. An 8x8 pan was defiantly enough for our family. Here is the recipe copied from their site:

You can double this recipe if you want to make a big batch, in a 9×13 pan. The 8×8 is plenty for us. Don’t forget to play around too, there are lots of fun add ins for oatmeal. Try other dried fruits, berries, apples, nuts, coconut, nut butters, etc. Have fun and enjoy!

Baked Oatmeal

2 cups uncooked old fashioned oats
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon (I like a lot)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup raisins
2 T dried cranberries
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk (I use skim)
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the milk, applesauce, butter, egg, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add milk mixture to oat mixture; stir well.

3. Pour oat mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.

4. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.

This is an easy recipe to double, so if you are serving a crowd, double and bake in a 9 by 13 pan. Bake for double the time. Serve warm.

If you want to add toppings you can-nuts, fruit, brown sugar, cinnamon, milk, etc. I always add a dash of cinnamon to my bowl!

No comments: